Monday, July 7, 2014

Attending Uni!


First of all, Uni is short for University, and that's pretty much what they call college here. So today, I attended my first class at my uni, King's College. I also had coffee here for the first time today. I ordered a Macchiato, but I don't think it meant what I thought it meant (to paraphrase a quote from the Princess Bride). At least, it didn't mean what it means in the U.S. Definitely not as sweet, in fact, it was rather bitter, and the portion was significantly smaller. But, it did give quite a kick and I was bouncing around for a few hours afterward. 



We had orientation for King's College Summer School, and then went to our first class, mine being "Jane Austen's London". Not surprisingly, this class consists of all females, from quite a few different countries, and there are 23 of us, so a nice small-ish class. Everyone seems really nice and I think there will be some great discussions in this class. Here, they call the professors "tutors", and our tutor for this class seems fairly fantastic. Today, after our lecture, we went to the British Library, where we saw original written music by some of the great composers like Bach and Beethoven, Jane Austen's writing desk and the original manuscript for Persuasion, writings from Galileo and Da Vinci, the Magna Carta, and tons of other ancient historical documents! It was incredible. 



We continue to master the Tube, and are doing a pretty fair job of it, if I do say so myself. It is an incredible system, and I'm not even sure how it is that it all works so well and efficiently, but I'm glad that it does. Also, I wanted to say a quick word about the ladies that I'm sharing this lovely flat with. There are four of us, Kelli, Katie, Meredith, and I. Kelli is actually the first person I met when I got into Heathrow on Saturday. We had to meet the ISA group at Terminal 5, but we landed in Terminal 3, so we met while waiting to take the Tube to Terminal 5. She is actually taking "Jane Austen's England" as well. All four of us have become fast friends, and we actually share a lot in common. It's nice to have people to wander the streets of London with! 

Most importantly today, I had my first official British meal. Sausages and Mash at the Edgar Wallace Pub. I was slightly disappointed, because before now I had understood that the proper name was Bangers and Mash, but apparently I was wrong. Either way, it was absolutely delicious. 



No comments:

Post a Comment