Thursday, July 17, 2014

Not only about Jane Austen


Today, we went to Bath, on the train. I have decided that travelling by train through England is one of the most delightful forms of transportation. We arrived at Bath and had an extensive tour that included pretty much the entire perimeter. We saw the Royal Crescent, and toured through the Number 1 house, which was pretty much the fanciest residence in its day. We also saw this Church:


This is where Jane Austen's parents were married, and her father is buried here, and we saw his grave. This is also the church where William Wilberforce married Barbara Spooner.

Afterward these Austen-significant locations, the class went our separate ways, and we had lunch at a lovely pub:


I had sausages and mash again, so delicious. And, we chose a table at random, and when we looked up, there she was:


Jane Austen herself joined us for lunch. Bath also has some wonderful shopping opportunities, which we took full advantage of. I treated myself to a P.G. Wodehouse book, and it's one I haven't read, which is even better! We also went to Marks & Spencer, which is a fancy department store, but also a supermarket. They were selling four jelly donuts for one pound. I've always stayed away from jelly donuts, I don't know why. So I got some today. My life is changed. They were amazing.


We also saw this bridge in Bath:


Look familiar? This was one of the filming locations for Les Miserables. Russell Crowe jumped off this bridge. Pretty awesome.

Today was also sweltering hot, if you're going by British standards. Mid-eighties. So not very hot by Missouri standards. But, very few places here have air-conditioning, so it was a bit warm, particularly on the train home. But, it was beautiful and sunny, so it was worth it.

And that's that. I'm afraid I've been rather brief (although that's probably a relief for those of you reading this), but I figured it would balance out with the novels I've been writing on here these past few days. Love you all!! Cheers, and all that!

Also, almost forgot, very important:


2 comments: