Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Beware the Ides of- well, you know


It is currently 11:25 pm here, and 5:25 pm at home. The whole time difference thing still throws me off. Anyway, just got back from the Globe. But I'll get to that soon enough. Must begin at the beginning, which would be this morning. Except not much happened. We did go browsing in the shops and stands in Portobello Market, which was very fun. The fashion here is very Audrey, so that's always nice. Then we had class, of course, and today we gave our oral presentations. Usually, I do quite a bit of practice and preparation for speeches and such, this time, well, that didn't happen. But, I think it went really well. It was supposed to be at least 5 minutes long, and those of you who know about my speeches for my Communications class this past semester know only too well that this would be no problem for me. I actually finished, feeling like it was rather short, in fact, shorter than 5 minutes. But lo and behold, 8 minutes and 46 seconds. Typical Audrey. Once you give me the floor I am loathe to give it up. And I do have a video of the presentation, it's just a little rough because my head is basically cut off (would've been appropriate if I were speaking about Henry VIII, but not so much William Wilberforce). So if anyone has a burning desire to see it/ hear it, I can post it here later. Anyway, so first Uni assignment completed!

But, most importantly, today we went to Shakespeare's Globe theater to see a performance of Julius Caesar. However, first, we had to summon all our London smarts to reach our destination. Basically, we got to the Tube station, got on the Tube, and then had to get right back off, they were closing it down for maintenance. So, we had to find an alternate route to the place where we were meeting everyone to go to the play. We figured out which station we needed to get to, and how to get there, speed-walked the entire way, worrying we were going to be late and they would leave with out us. Got there 20 minutes early. Needless to say, we were pretty proud of our achievement. Anyway, tangent over. The Globe:



We had floor tickets, which meant that we stood for about 3 hours straight. But it was SO worth it!! We were so close, it was like we were really part of it! And the acting? I couldn't believe how incredibly talented each and every one of the cast was. And being so close made it that much better! It also meant that we got splattered with stage blood when they killed (the innocent) Cinna the Poet, thinking he was Cinna the political figure. Pretty awesome. Probably the best theater experience I've ever had.


And here's the outside:


Also, super exciting, I found out that my camera has somewhere around 20 different settings, which means I can now take awesome night photos, museum photos, and pretty much everything else. Took me three years, but I am now ready to usher in a new era of better photos! Also, St. Paul's Cathedral at night, from across the Thames:


While we were walking past St. Paul's, I was idly humming "Feed the Birds", one of the best songs ever. And then, a couple steps ahead, I saw this!


The Mary Poppins book bench!!

So that was today! Shakespeare in London! And tomorrow? Off to Bath, to spend more time with Jane Austen! But for now? Shower and bed. Night night!

4 comments:

  1. Funny that you happen to be going to Bath, as I just watched Les Miserables yesterday. And it is quite easy for me to believe that your speech was 8 minutes as I have similar problems.
    I am very proud of your photography accomplishments. Congrats my friend, congrats.

    Also, I intend to send a letter sometime in the next few days for your birthday! However...it won't probably arrive on your birthday because who knows how mail overseas works. But...know that it is in pursuit!

    What day do you head back to the states?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, thanks!! I'll be keeping an eye out for the letter! I will be arriving back in the states next Saturday, the 26th.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too soon! I'm doing my very best not to think about it. Returning to the States isn't sad. But leaving London is sad.

    ReplyDelete