Sunday, July 6, 2014

London Bridge is NOT falling down (thankfully)...


Today was a day of getting to know my new home-for-the-next-three-weeks. First, we had ISA orientation. I honestly have no recollection if I explained ISA before this, but if so, I'll do it again. ISA stands for International Studies Abroad, and they arrange for students to study abroad in hundreds of different programs and countries, and make the whole process a lot simpler and easier. They have been helping us through this entire process, from picking us up at the airport to helping us learn to ride the Tube successfully. They also arranged for our housing as well. As in, they got this incredible flat for us. Which, by the way, I did remember to take a picture of the outside (our flat is through the red door, on the third floor):



 So ISA has been indispensable. And today, we had our ISA orientation; a rundown of all the rules of the program and our housing arrangements, and just some helpful information for our stay in London. Then, they took us on a tour of London, riding in a red, double-decker bus! One more thing to cross off the bucket list! London is an incredible city, and throughout the bus tour we were adding more things to our list of places to visit as we glimpsed them through the bus windows.

They let us off right in the middle of the city, and from there, we just wandered, soaking it all in. We made our way to and across London Bridge (Hence the title. It wasn't falling, if you needed further clarification.):


On the other side of the Thames, we managed to catch a bit of the Wimbledon Men's Singles Final, which was playing on a big screen in this sort of amphitheater. We walked a couple of steps further, and there in was another screen with the game. Clearly Wimbledon is kind of a big deal. There was also a food stand that had this fantastic name, and I have to share it. Who would have thought a vegetable could be honest?:



And, we managed to find a few of the Book Benches! Behold; Dr. Suess:



After spending all the afternoon, and some of the evening exploring, we headed back to our flat. And, now I'm here, typing this. And tomorrow:


Orientation at King's College!

2 comments:

  1. 5 Things:

    1.) Oh my gosh you live in an adorable flat and I just can't handle it.
    2.) The Doctor Suess bench is very exciting
    3.) Tell us about your roommates! Where are they from? Do we have any competition for best friend status?
    4.) WIMBLEDON IS TOTALLY A BIG DEAL.
    5.) I demand a full post about sherlock holmes during some portion of your London stay.

    I'm so glad you're on an adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, yeah I definitely thought of you when I saw Wimbledon! And I will make sure to cover these other topics! Don't worry, no competition for best friend status, but I have met some pretty great people here!

    ReplyDelete