Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Perfect Nonsense


It is currently 36 minutes after midnight here, and I am sitting here eating chocolate biscuits. I have worked on my Jane Austen paper probably a total of 5 1/2 hours today. And it's almost finished. Still have to do a final proofread, and double check my citations. I may do that after writing this post, or I may heed the call of my pillow and proofread tomorrow. At the moment, it could go either way.

Anyway, today was a fantastic day, despite the hours of slaving away on this paper. That was basically my morning. This afternoon, for class, we visited Sir John Soanes' house, that has been turned into a museum. Now, John Soanes was the architect who designed St. Paul's Cathedral, and the original Bank of England, and quite a few other things that are no longer in existence. His house was basically a lot of his experimenting with different designs and styles, so you end up having Rococo and Gothic styles in the same room sometimes. He also collected countless artifacts and art pieces, so his house was literally chock-full of interesting things, such as a genuine Egyptian sarcophagus. The whole place reminded me very much of Nana and Papa's house. It was fantastic. We weren't allowed to take photos inside, but here's a picture of the outside, but it doesn't really give much of an idea of what's inside:


Afterward, we went to the nearby Royal College of Surgeons Museum, which was absolutely amazing. It's basically a lot of jars with various old medical and zoological specimens, everything from a diseased kidney to a walrus fetus. It was pretty great, but most of our group found it pretty gross too. Thankfully I'm not squeamish.

And, this evening, I attended my third theater performance. Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense at the Duke of Yorke's Theater near Trafalgar Square:


It was fantastic, everything that I had hoped it would be. My cheeks hurt from smiling and laughing pretty much the entire time. British humor at its very best. One of the things I'm definitely going to miss is the theater experiences here. People attend live theater here in London like we would go to the movie theater in the States. There are countless shows to choose from every day, with reasonably priced tickets, and small theaters that make any seat an incredible experience. And the acting is of the very highest quality. I love it.
I returned from the theater, and have been working on my essay ever since. It has been quite a lovely day, really, despite so much school work. Tomorrow is the last day of classes, which is shocking and hard to believe. To be honest, I'd really like to not believe it. But there it is, all good things have to end. I'm just going to savor these next two days, and get as much out of them as I can.


No comments:

Post a Comment