Tuesday, July 8, 2014

It was bound to happen, sooner or later...


Me getting lost in this great city, that is. Yes indeed, today was the day.

It started out, innocently enough. I had planned last night to wake up early this morning and go for a run, my destination being Kensington Gardens and Hyde Park, which is only a little over a mile away from the flat. So I did. I looked at my map beforehand and determined the streets I would need to turn on to get there. Only, once I actually got out on the road, I couldn't remember what the heck those streets were. I think I'm turning into Dory. So, I thought, "No matter, I've got a great sense of direction, I'll just turn here, and here, and here, and go this way and I'll get there." Which did work, actually. By the time I got there, I'd already been running for about 40 minutes, so I didn't take actual trail through Hyde Park (it's enormous), I just took one that went straight though. But then, it came time to find my way back to the flat. Where's that "great sense of direction now, Audrey". Nonexistent, I'm afraid. So I ran in the direction I thought was correct. Well, it wasn't. Made a few more turns. Still not right. Before I knew it, I legitimately had no idea where I was. I looked at a bus map, and realized that I was closer to the Thames than I was to the flat. In fact, Notting Hill wasn't even on this map. Fantastic. So, I decided to ask someone for directions. Funny enough, the lady I asked was a visitor to London herself, but she had a map. She very nicely showed it to me and helped me figure out where to go, and then wrote down the directions I needed. God bless her soul. From there, I made my way back, taking a longer way than I needed. But, I arrived home at the flat at last! My 1 hour run had turned into a 2 hour run, and I probably covered about 7 miles or more, but it was all good! An adventure! That's what I'm here for! And I was calm and collected, and found my way back. Hurray!

Thankfully, today, I didn't have class until 1pm, so there was plenty of time for my adventure. Class is going great, by the way. It's absolutely surreal studying Jane Austen while in England. Really, this whole experience has been pretty surreal, though.
King's College courtyard:


Also, this incredibly enormous car:



It was rather cold and rainy today, in fact, we get rain almost every day. But it's beautiful. It never rains for very long, and it's quite refreshing. And, there isn't all the humidity like there is back home. The hair appreciates that.

And now, we're sitting in our Notting Hill flat, watching, of all things, the movie Notting Hill. Rather appropriate, I think. Well, until tomorrow, cheers!

2 comments:

  1. Haha! I am now not the only housemate who has been lost in a foreign country. I'm glad you returned safe and sound. :)
    I was going to say that you should watch Notting Hill, it's a great one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! And we're living right across from the garden they filmed in, and the bookshop is just down the road!

    ReplyDelete